The people of First Evangelical Lutheran Church provide assistance and participate in many social ministries. The Outreach Committee is responsible for the congregation’s participation in outreach ministries and welcomes new members.
- The Contributor
- The Contributor is a weekly street newspaper. The paper’s content focuses on issues surrounding homelessness and poverty and it is written by local journalists as well as people experiencing homelessness or working within the homeless community.
- Lutheran Services
- Lutheran Services is a social outreach program. Lutheran Services has been able to improve the lives of some of the women and children of Cheatam Place. Cheatam Place is a housing project on Rosa Park Ave. Lutheran Services has provided community gardens, the canvas programs and the Thursday program for mothers.
- The Next Door (a program of the Downtown Ministry Center)
- The Next Door offers transitional living and support services to women coming out of incarceration. through our contributions, lives are changing and families are being reunited. this program provides women the opportunity to build lives of wholeness and hope.
- St Paul’s Food Bank
- St Paul’s Lutheran church is one of the biggest distributors of food for Second Harvest’s emergency food box program. The food bank is open 4 days a week every week. The money First Lutheran donates helps pay for insurance, taxes and utilities for the house were the food distribution site is located.
- Second Harvest Food Bank
- An organization with a central distribution center for companies, groups, and individuals who wish to help provide food for Middle Tennessee’s hungry. Second Harvest’s mission is to feed hungry people and work to solve hunger issues in our community.
- Room In the Inn
- Provides temporary housing through the Room In the Inn program, along with other services for people in need. The congregation participates directly in the Room In the Inn program from November to March each year.
- Nashville Rescue Mission
- Offers food, clothing, and shelter to the homeless as well as recovery programs to those enslaved by life-degrading problems.
- Pastoral Counseling Centers of Tennessee, Inc.
- A ministry of professional care dedicated to healing and growth in human life and relationships.
- Rooftop Rental Assistance
- First Lutheran is in a partnership with a number of other Nashville churches providing rental assistance to individuals and families in need of emergency financial help.
If you would like to to participate in social ministries at First Lutheran, please contact the church office.